What do Switchboard Operators, Including Answering Service do?
Operate telephone business systems equipment or switchboards to relay incoming, outgoing, and interoffice calls. May supply information to callers and record messages.
- Operate communication systems, such as telephone, switchboard, intercom, two-way radio, or public address.
- Answer incoming calls, greeting callers, providing information, transferring calls or taking messages as necessary.
- Route emergency calls appropriately.
- Page individuals to inform them of telephone calls, using paging or interoffice communication equipment.
- Relay or route written or verbal messages.
- Place telephone calls or arrange conference calls as instructed.
- Perform clerical duties, such as typing, proofreading, accepting orders, scheduling appointments, and sorting mail.
- Monitor alarm systems to ensure that secure conditions are maintained.
- Contact security staff members when necessary, using radio-telephones.
- Keep records of calls placed and charges incurred.
- Record messages, suggesting rewording for clarity or conciseness.
- Stamp messages with time and date and file them appropriately.
- Answer simple questions about clients' businesses, using reference files.
- Complete forms for sales orders.
Related Jobs (Switchboard Operators, Including Answering Service)