What do Opticians, Dispensing do?
Design, measure, fit, and adapt lenses and frames for client according to written optical prescription or specification. Assist client with inserting, removing, and caring for contact lenses. Assist client with selecting frames. Measure customer for size of eyeglasses and coordinate frames with facial and eye measurements and optical prescription. Prepare work order for optical laboratory containing instructions for grinding and mounting lenses in frames. Verify exactness of finished lens spectacles. Adjust frame and lens position to fit client. May shape or reshape frames. Includes contact lens opticians.
- Verify that finished lenses are ground to specifications.
- Prepare work orders and instructions for grinding lenses and fabricating eyeglasses.
- Measure clients' bridge and eye size, temple length, vertex distance, pupillary distance, and optical centers of eyes, using measuring devices.
- Heat, shape, or bend plastic or metal frames to adjust eyeglasses to fit clients, using pliers and hands.
- Evaluate prescriptions in conjunction with clients' vocational and avocational visual requirements.
- Assist clients in selecting frames according to style and color, and ensure that frames are coordinated with facial and eye measurements and optical prescriptions.
- Fabricate lenses to meet prescription specifications.
- Maintain records of customer prescriptions, work orders, and payments.
- Recommend specific lenses, lens coatings, and frames to suit client needs.
- Instruct clients in how to wear and care for eyeglasses.
- Sell goods such as contact lenses, spectacles, sunglasses, and other goods related to eyes in general.
- Determine clients' current lens prescriptions, when necessary, using lensometers or lens analyzers and clients' eyeglasses.
- Show customers how to insert, remove, and care for their contact lenses.
- Assemble eyeglasses by cutting and edging lenses, and fitting the lenses into frames.
- Obtain a customer's previous record, or verify a prescription with the examining optometrist or ophthalmologist.
- Supervise the training of student opticians.
- Order and purchase frames and lenses.
- Grind lens edges, or apply coatings to lenses.
- Perform administrative duties such as tracking inventory and sales, submitting patient insurance information, and performing simple bookkeeping.
- Repair damaged frames.
- Arrange and maintain displays of optical merchandise.
Related Jobs (Opticians, Dispensing)